Server Error on .htaccess

After uploading the Pulse folder to root I recieve a Server Error screen in my browser (Chrome Mac). My web-logs say it’s a prob with the .htaccess file?

/pulse/.htaccess: RewriteRule: cannot compile regular expression ‘^blog-([^-]*)+?’\n

Any suggestions? I ran your “reqs.php” tool and everything is ok there. “Sessions” (if an issue) I’m not sure about, haven’t contacted my host yet, will do if you say I must.

Thanks

In my pulse installations the htaccess is placed in root, not in /pulse. Maybe your host needs that Rewrite base defined on line 3
RewriteBase /pulse/
(without # to uncomment)

Thanks Cadesign. Moving that file to root make’s sense, I’ll try that first (later tomorrow) and also check back for any additional ideas that may get posted (bed time now).
R

If Pulse is placed in a subdirectory, you have to change a line in config.php, too:

$path = ‘/pulse’; // If installed in root, leave blank. If in “subfolder”, use “/subfolder”

Thanks Torsten. There came point where I could no longer tell if my (multiple) problems were do to me, Pulse, or my host’s servers. I had some partial success, then none, even when reverting to my earlier partial-success configuration, my server refused to cooperate under any circumstances – as if I had tripped some maximum changes per unit of time limit and it may have thought I was an intruder or something? I don’t know, but I couldn’t spend the next week emailing tech support to straighten it out so I moved on to a different solution for now. I’m half-way done building that now (TCMS in Rapidweaver) so we shall see. Thank you-all and good-cmsing to you.

1 Like

Good luck to you, RogerB! Anyway: The simplest way to install a CMS is at the root of your webhosting area (like /html or /httpdocs or whatever). Installing into a subdirectory needs some configuration in most cases.

2 Likes

This is a good point and something to remember.

I tend to set up a subdomain for each new project (client.plumb-design.com) so that the client can review the work in progress. It also means that when I need to migrate the site to the live server I don’t need to adjust the config settings or any other paths.

2 Likes

Very useful advice, TimPlumb, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed after 11 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.