Navigation Menu

Please forgive me for asking such a newbie question, but I do feel like I have done the due diligence searching needlessly for the answer and still coming up empty.

Fresh and new install... I'm still trying to figure out the system and how everything, like blocks work so I'm still working with the template that came with pulsecms5.3

I deleted some of default pages for simplicity. Like the OnePageCreative Home page I didn't intent on keeping.

Now, all pages have a navigation menu with links that lead to pages that don't exist. Went looking to fix that naturally.

Clicked on every possible thing in the admin pages trying to find a way to edit the menu.

Absolutely nothing there in the way of editing the menu. Heck, I can not even see how to edit the privacy policy page text. It refers to a block that doesn't exist in the block list.

Nevermind that.... Back to the menu..

Searched for an ever elusive sb_nav.txt file in a FTP program and gave up after about 20 minutes.

Found the txt file to edit the privacy page. Not a very intuitive location I must point out. Lucky find.

Searched here on the forum using, "menu" as a search term.

Saw some interesting posts with drag-and-drop sub menus and for some reason, I do not have those pages I'm seeing screen-shots of anywhere in my pulse installation.

Yes, I haven't even begun to play with users yet so I am logged in as administrator.

In addition to my confusion, there are dated posts in the documentation involving older pulse versions so I'm not confident anything I'm reading is even relevant anymore.

Why am I finding such simple tasks to be so daunting?

Why does the documentation have links and urls pointing to articles that do not exist?

But the reality of usability for any would-be clients, especially the ones that want get slightly dirty in html code, are going to find this CMS unusable out of the box.

Obviously I'm only saying this because I'm trying to use the default template.

Some of the features, like auto backups and 2FA ability are brilliant however.

Still needs refining though. Users aren't going to know how to restore those backups and the documentation for 2FA is limited to a sales pitch at this point.

Get the documentation up to snuff! I can not recommend this product with the documentation in its present state.

In the meantime, could you kindly point out where I might find the ability to edit the web page's menu without making an entirely new html template please?

• yes they point to the demo content. You can just wipe it all and start a fresh or edit from the default demo.

• The navigation UI is found and created from here:
    Account > Settings > Manage Navigation

Pages > Privacy (page)

The content there is auto generated from the Policy Tag:

Policy Tag

{{policy:company:location:date}}

Generate a simple Terms of Service and Privacy Policy statement for your website (English only) and substitute location and business name. NB this defaults to the last time the file was changed if the third tag parameter is not present.

(from the manual)

But the reality of usability for any would-be clients, especially the ones that want get slightly dirty in html code, are going to find this CMS unusable out of the box.

• There's no need to be able to edit HTML, although Blocks can have HTML embeds.

Users aren't going to know how to restore those backups and the documentation for 2FA is limited to a sales pitch at this point.

• The backup zip is easy. Just replace the Content folder. Although it now also back-up templates and custom plugins too.

Backup your Pulse Site

The backup feature in Pulse is fully automatic and operates silently in the background. There is nothing you need to configure or install. Each time you edit Pulse, it checks if a backup exists for this day. If not, one is created. A maximum of one backup per day is created and the 5 most recent backups are stored in the 'content/backups' folder.

When a backup is created, it zips up all the files in the 'content' folder. If you have a custom template, you will need to back that up separately.

This can be switched on/off in settings, and you can also set an email address to catch an off-site (off your server) backup.

Hope that helps for now!

Found it! It is actually more than that. Account>Settings>General>Manage Navigation(only found halfway down the page of settings. Please consider putting this somewhere easier to get to! Newbies like me will go mad hunting for this!

Do a search function within this PDF for "menu". You'll find 12 mentions and nothing explaining where to go to change menu entries.

That is great and all. But that doesn't explain how to actually change the text to meet the individual needs of a website owner specifically.

If I can't find how to edit the menu, which I do now (see above hidden mid-page in general tab of settings), my only option would be to edit the html right?
My hope is that I can setup pages that are easy for normal, non-techies, to edit. Imagine how I must've felt thinking how much easier and faster it would be to just edit the html over locating a way to edit it via the admin panel. I spent considerable time looking all over the place to do it the pulsecms way.

Oh I get it. I love this about pulse. The documentation appears clear doesn't it?

I know I must sound horribly harsh with my criticism but I'm really just trying to give valuable feedback here. A lot of your customers are website developers that in turn support the end user on your behalf. The documentation could be less of a sales pitch expressing what it can do, which understandably interests your customers, and more of a how-to spelling out the steps one takes to use it right, which interests the end user just trying to use it. We are after all in the manual and not the product's change logs.

For example:
I see in the manual, "For more complex forms, go to the Form Builder inside your Pulse Dashboard Account, create your form and embed it using the Just Forms tag."

This might be clear to you. But we, as new people to pulse, have no idea where to go to do this. There's a dashboard here, a dashboard there, an add-ons dashboard, none of which mentions a form builder on their first pages. It would have been helpful if it had mentioned that certain add-ons are not in the add-on page and can be found only after scrolling down on the "Integration" page.

And then the questions. "Just Forms Tag". What's that? What if I have more than one form? I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

I kind of want the manual to talk to me as if I were 5 years old and hold my hand a little while I learn how to use the features specific to this product. As I get older, I've found it is much quicker to get up to speed with a manual that spells out exactly what to do rather than hunt down the answer to a puzzle via trial and error.

In my journey to learn all that is pulsecms, I'm finding lots opportunities that can greatly improve the experience new-to-pulse folks are having. Another example. I came across this. The link on the top of that is invalid.. Must've changed the URI scheme on the site at some point bummer...

1 Like

Change the company:location:date variables as required. The example in the demo shows a real example.

Yep!

Are you creating sites for your users? Can you explain who your suers are?

You are right the manual is aimed at Pulse users - who are usually designers, freelancers, agencies making sites for other people. They then give their users (their clients) some simple instructions on how to edit the content parts of their site. In most cases the Pulse part is white labelled so we are aiming the documentation at the website creators, but of course we are always looking to improve it and do more as much as we can.

It is helpful feedback. Pulse has evolved over the years and we need to review what it is like for first time users to the platform.

1 Like

Still wondering where that's done.

I don't use the date function (if you don't add it, it defaults to the last time the file was updated as the date) In the tag. So:

{{policy:Pulse:Japan}}

or

{{policy:MyWebsitesName:London}}

...produces the output text.

Create a page, put that tag on it, save, then go view the page you just created.

--

If you want to give editors fine-grained control over editing the actual wording, I'd do the following:

Select all of the generated policy information from the page you just created and copy the HTML for it. Then, create a block of your own (in the blocks section), call it whatever you want - something like 'policies' might be good, then change to 'HTML mode in the editor and paste the copied code into this block and save it. After saving, click the 'Embed' button beside the save button and you'll get a tag like so: (presuming you called the block policies...)

{{block:policies}}

Then place this tag onto whichever page you want the policies to be on. (or even overwrite the original '{{policy:MyWebsitesName:London}}' tag...) Give the editor access to this block and they'll be able to edit the text going forward...

Does that make sense?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.