Web hosting and large flat file database

This is my first post here, so I hope this is OK. I have been using Rapidweaver for a couple of years and recently started playing with Blocs, both of which can use Pulse CMS.

To date I have only created static html websites for myself, however I am in the process of starting a business as a web designer and it’s clear that many clients want the ability to make their own updates, so I wanted to learn something about Pulse and what it can offer, particularly in relation to WordPress, since that is a frequent request.

In working on the business plan, I’ve thought about offering web hosting as part of the design packages, which could be done with a reseller account using my current web host Kualo. While looking through the conditions I noticed a line about non permitted activities that caught my eye. Namely “Any script using a large flat file database.”

Obviously I can ask Kualo about this, but having read that Pulse used a flash file system I wondered why this would be a problem for web hosting? Also it’s not clear how they define large.

1 Like

Thanks @Bilko and I remember you from the RapidWeaver forums :wink:

Looking at the Kualo specs and offers I think, in a nutshell, it will be fine and not to worry!

Performance of Pulse is akin to static html websites and doesn’t use a database, instead it reads from text files. I think they are referring to either a CSV or MYSQL Lite database so Pulse is not included in that.

If that database was large (say a few 100 mb or more) it could hinder their server RAM etc. But text files is not a problem and certainly less of a burden than WordPress sites and My SQL (which they offer) so I would say good luck in the new business venture and go for it!

Post back how it goes :sunglasses:

Thanks for the explanation. It looks like their reseller plans have less resources available than the performance one I am on, so I’ll try asking them some specifics, because I don’t want to move customers there and find it becomes a problem. It’s in their page on resources for reseller packages at the bottom of the section on general usage limitations https://www.kualo.co.uk/resellers/resource-usage-policy

1 Like

Let us know what they come back with @bilko :slight_smile:

@pulsecms I wrote to Kualo earlier and they have said it won’t be a problem if it just writes static html. They have restrictions on resources in terms of active processes, but I doubt that will be a problem for most unless they have huge traffic.

Kualo actually provide integration with CloudFlare, including Railgun as standard, so if that could shoulder a lot of the burden if necessary.

1 Like

We have ideas for image hosting with a CDN to come. Is there interest in this?

I'd have interests in having media and various static elements like js and css offloaded on amazon s3 or cdn. But Im not interested in paying extra cdn fees for bandwidth.

1 Like