Revisting Pulse, and this new version

Hello,
I’ve used Pulse quite a bit back when it was just starting and then prior to the sale and revamping of the CMS. I’ve since downloaded (from the email, stating it was a free upgrade) v4.6 and installed it. There are a couple concerns that I have right out of the gate… hoping to get some input and either convince me that Pulse is worth continuing with or not.

1st issue - Errors. I installed as usual and went to the frontend to check the homepage… here were the errors encountered:
> Notice: ob_end_clean(): failed to delete buffer. No buffer to delete in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/pulse/index.php(1) : eval()'d code on line 39
Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/pulse/index.php(1) : eval()'d code:39) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/pulse/pulsecore/misc.php(1) : eval()'d code on line 12
Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/pulse/index.php(1) : eval()'d code:39) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/pulse/pulsecore/misc.php(1) : eval()'d code on line 12

Which led me to my 2nd issue - obfuscated files. After seeing the error I wanted to get under the hood, see what changes were made and see if the error was easy to track down, which is when I discovered /index.php and /pulsecore/misc.php were both base_64 obfuscated. My initial two thoughts were, “Why?” and “For what benefit would they obfuscate these files?”. I have no idea as Base_64 is about as easy to decode as a Kindergarten Sudoku puzzle. So why are there obfuscated files in Pulse now? What benefit they provide?

So, for those that are well versed in this new version of Pulse can you help me better understand the benefits of using this new version of Pulse, especially given that there are files obfuscated which limits my ability to dig into the code, expand a sites functionality, etc.?

Thanks in advance. And, please understand, this is NOT a bash, rant or slam on Pulse. It looks like there are many great changes… and I’ve read the marketing fluff… I want to know, web developer to web developer (I’ve been an developer for over 10 years and a UX Engineer by profession for half that time) what benefits this new version provide my business and clients.

Thanks again.

Thanks @Revive - it’s definitely worth it and improving all the time

Errors - is that on local? I can’t reproduce them on my MAMP - what version of PHP are you using?

The core files shouldn’t need to be changed to allow you to do customisations, that’s the direction we are going in. So having all the core files in “Pulsecore” will make it easier to separate what’s essential and what can be changed. It’s a sign of coolness to come.

For the full run-down of changes you can see the updates here:
http://help.pulsecms.com/article/10-version-history

The benefits of this version should be clear to see from the above list! There’s a lot to help you and your business. A lot of developers like the structural changes, including the use of globals, cleaner UI etc.

If you have any further questions, just DM me for more developer to developer discussion.

Cheers

Following up on this @Revive - have found some of these errors. Not all these warnings are important for the scripts to run so won’t happen in many cases but updating for 4.6.1 which should be out this week, latest next week! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed @Revive!! :zap:

1 Like